Sunday, August 19, 2007

Singer Moby Concerned That His Birthday Will Be Overlooked This Year



Popular musician Moby was looking forward to celebrating his 42nd birthday this month, until he realized that the revelry might be overshadowed by the events commemorating the 6th anniversary of the World Trade Center bombings in New York City.

Moby, whose real name is Richard Melville Hall, was born on September 11, 1965 in Harlem, New York. He is a direct descendant of Herman Melville, author of the classic novel Moby Dick.

"Of course, I have a great amount of compassion for those who suffered unimaginable losses on September 11th, 2001. But I lost something on that day too--the ability to enjoy my birthday on a day not connected to the worst act of terrorism ever perpetrated on American soil."

Moby has already scaled back plans to host an all-night rave, and is instead opting to invite just "a few close friends" over to celebrate with a wine and cheese party at his SoHo loft.

"People were telling me that they might felt guilty dancing 'til dawn with a somber 9/11 candlelight vigil being held just blocks away. Although I can totally relate, I just hope they realize my birthday is always going to be on September 11th, and that this unfortunate coincidence really does not excuse the fact that they have been cheaping out on my presents for the last few years."

No comments: